Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hungar Strike Update Day 10

Violence breeds violence, intolerance breeds division.  I’m currently on day 10 of this hunger strike and a lot has come to my mind.  I seem to be able to see more clearer as each day rolls by.  Many people do not support what I’m doing and although it’s disappointing, I also understand.  No two people will agree on everything – so in some cases when you can’t see the other individual’s side… it’s best to just agree to disagree.

I am fighting the only way I have to fight, by doing a peaceful non-violent protest to raise awareness to issues that are not only affecting me, but that are affecting others as well.  I have however, decided to stop allowing the anger to eat me up.  I’ve had a lot of anger in my heart towards Warden Reddish and I’ve been way harsher with him than I should have been.  As you know my writings are on pure raw emotions.  I’ve decided some of that needs to change and hopefully it will.  I did meet with Mr. Reddish on Friday May 27, 2011 and discussed several of these issues.

1. I really do want the following changes to take place either through Mr. Reddish or Mr. Buss.
It was a bogus Disciplinary Report (DR).  I did not attempt to do business with a staff member or volunteer and for what reason alone the DR needs to be thrown out.
2. I want all reprisals to end.  I’ll bring the grievances to an end.  If I have an issue, I’ll write a request or letter.
3. I’d like my contact visits restores.  The rule I’m being held under contact visits with immediate family only does not exist.
4. The cell moves that are causing all this friction among the inmates on death row needs to be stopped.  Not everyone likes each other and not everyone can live around each other.
5. We need light switches place in the A/C, D/C cells so the lights cannot be used as a form of punishment causing sleep deprivation.  Cell lights are on for 18 to 19 hours a day.
6. Prisoners on Disciplinary Confinement (DC) need to be permitted books, magazines and newspapers, Chapter 33-FAC does not prohibit it and the American Correctional Association (ACA) standards for adult corrections facilities also recommends it.
7. DC prisoners need to be given the same 6 hours recreation per week.  Please see Exhibit (A) 33.601.830 Death Row F.A.C. (7) (i) and (7)(i)2.  Recreation is only to be denied if there is a “Major” rule violation, and only for 15 days.  D.C. inmates are denied recreation for the first 30 days which goes against the rules.
8. It is also recommended by the A.C.A. that D.C. prisoners be allowed to order food items from the canteen which needs to be considered due to the lack of food we are served.
9. When placed on Administrative Confinement (A/C) the visitation should not be denied, unless there is a “Major” rule violation.  This is hurting our family and friends who travel hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles and spend hundreds and thousands of dollars usually months in advance for the visits.  Sometimes visits are being taken away for minor rule violations that could take place at the last minute.  This is a very serious issue the needs to be addressed.  If nothing else, non-contacts visits should be permitted because this is punishing both family and friends.
10. I have a liver disease Hepatitis C which I’m not getting treatment for.  I need the following:
     a) The Hepatitis A and B vaccine.
     b) A diet consisting of no processed foods or sugar.
     c) A liver biopsy which is the only way to know the true conditions of the liver.

All I’m asking for is to be treated fair and equally.  I’m not asking for any more than that.  Mr. Buss and Mr. Reddish are Christians.  I ask them both to please consider Hebrews 13:33 Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisons and those who are mistreated as if you yourself were suffering.
I’m asking for the mercy and compassion of these men to consider the above needed changes in order to reduce our suffering.  Thank you for your time and consideration and for bringing this to the attention of Mr. Berry V. Reddish and Mr. Edwin G. Buss.

Respectfully submitted in Love and Peace
Ronald W. Clark, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment