Sunday, May 15, 2011

Compassion, Mercy and Osama bin Laden

Osama bin Laden… finally dead.  I heard the news on the radio this morning when I woke up.  And when I heard it I smiled and said, “Finally.”

But I heard a preacher later that day say, “I hope he’s now burning in hell.” And that my friends, goes against everything that Christianity stands for.  What that preacher should have said is, “I’m glad bin Laden can do no more harm to the world.   But I encourage you Christian brothers and sisters that God may have mercy and compassion on the soul of this confused individual.”  For did Jesus not say each to love your enemies and pray for them?  Obviously, this preacher was not following the teaching of his savior.  He was hoping God would show no mercy, no compassion, for a misguided soul and condemn him to hell.  But what did Jesus say about that?  See Luke 6:37:

Do not judge and you will not be judged.  Do not condemn and you will not be condemned.  Forgive and you will be forgiven.

Where are the teachings of Christ in that preacher’s statement?  Because it sure isn’t there in Luke 6:37.

We can be glad that it’s over with, without celebrating death and hoping or condemnation.  For there’s no mercy and compassion in celebrating and hoping that someone is condemned.  And isn’t it written in Exodus 33:19 that God said, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy compassion on who I have compassion”?  And Paul reiterates this in Romans 9:15-16, which reads:

I will have mercy on whom I have mercy and I will have compassion n whom I have compassion.  It does not therefore depend on man’s desire or effort but on God’s mercy.

The scripture clearly teaches against condemning others.  It teaches us not to try to snatch compassion and mercy out of the hands of God.  For this is the same compassion and mercy that you yourself may one day be seeking to save your own soul.  Why not do the right thing and pray that God shows mercy and compassion on bin Laden and those who harm us in their misguided ways.  For these men were a product of their environment.  They were mislead by others and for that reason you should pray for them not condemn them.

Peace and love to you all.

Ronnie

No comments:

Post a Comment